“The orange tunnel”
Metro Station “Marienplatz” in Munich...loved the retro look 🚞📸!
Some facts about“ Marienplatz“:
This Medieval public square is the heart of the Munich, since its construction it has been the site of tournaments, executions, markets (the fresh produce market moved to nearby Viktualienmarkt in 1807) and public events. Originally the square was called Schrannen but was renamed, St. Mary's Square, in an appeal to the Virgin Mary to protect the city from a cholera epidemic.
In the center of the square is the Mariensaule column (1638) erected in celebration of the end of a Swedish invasion. The column is topped with a statue of Mary by Hubert Gerhard and at the foot of the column are 4 putti figures by Ferdinand Murmann. The Neues Rathaus (New Town Hall) dominates the square with its 79 meter high tower constructed 1867-1909.
The square's most famous site is the glockenspiel or carillon located on the New Town Hall tower façade. Several times a day the glockenspiel's 32 life-size carved figures dance the Schafferltanz, a traditional dance first danced to celebrate the end of the plague in 1517. On an upper level of the glockenspiel figures reenact the 16th century story of Duke Wilhelm V. Another feature of the square is the Fischbrunnen fountain designed by Konrad Knoll in 1864 and rebuilt in 1954. The original Altes Rathaus was destroyed by fire in the 1400s and rebuilt by Jorg von Halsbach (1470-1480), over the years many changes were made to the structure. The most significant addition was in 1934 when two gateways were built allowing traffic to pass beneath the building. Today the Old Town Hall houses a toy museum.